Science Education – Physics Major
As a science education – physics major, you will be prepared to lead as well as master your content areas and the most current research-based knowledge of instruction and curriculum. Bethel enjoys partnerships with area school districts. Throughout the teacher preparation program, you will gain hundreds of hours of classroom experience, including a 12- to 15-week student teaching experience.
Science teachers – particularly physics teachers – are in very high demand throughout Indiana and the world. Graduates of this program will be well equipped for teaching high school mathematics and physics, as well as for continued study in physics.
An effective teacher’s development includes acquiring the necessary skills, knowledge, and disposition to teach in a classroom or online setting. Bethel’s programs continually seek ways to ensure our teacher candidates receive the best instruction based on the latest educational research.
12- to 15-week
student teaching placements
of students receive some form of financial assistance
Science Education – Physics Major
Bachelor of Science (BS) Program – 4 years
Courses will include:
- Science & Faith Seminar – Consider the rich history and bright future of scientific accomplishment and how our faith can be enriched through the study of God’s creation.
- Calculus & Differential Equations – derivatives, integrals, multi-dimensional thinking – this is the language of applied mathematics and the toolbox for modelling real-world systems through continuous functions.
- Physics I, II, III – Explore topics such as Newtonian Mechanics, conservation, rigid motion, thermal physics, waves, optics, electrostatics, circuits, magnetism and induction.
- Quantum Physics – Deepen your understanding of theoretical physics through the study of relativity and quantum theory.
- Chemistry & Thermodynamics – Round out your studies by considering the interplay of physics and chemical principles, kinetic theory, heat engines, refrigerators, potentials and phase transition.
- Education courses – Take classes designed to help you imagine yourself as a teacher, consider your own education philosophy, and what teaching and classroom methodologies will make you an effective educator!
Prepare for an exciting future as a/an:
- Physics Teacher (Grades 5-12)
- Science Teacher (Grades 5-12)
- Mathematics Teacher (Grades 5-12; with additional certification)
- Science Curriculum Developer/Expert
- University Professor (with continued graduate study)
- School Administrator
You’ll gain career-shaping skills such as:
- How to consider the theory and applications of physics in the modern world – think about what makes you passionate about physics, and how to pass that on to your students.
- How teaching and applying principles of physics can help us contribute to the Kingdom of God and to the betterment of our communities.
- Preparing for a career in teaching and ministering to students through deep study of physics, modern teaching methods and a broad array of practicum experiences in local classrooms.
All students nearing completion of the secondary education program participate in Student Teaching during their senior year. Our program also offers many opportunities for tutoring and for practicum experiences in local classrooms.
Science Education – Physics Major Highlights
Throughout the teacher preparation program, you will gain hundreds of hours of classroom experience, including a 12- to 15-week student teaching experience, and gain the necessary skills, knowledge, and disposition to teach in a classroom or online setting. Bethel’s programs continually seek ways to ensure our teacher candidates receive the best instruction based on the latest educational research.
Also Consider These Areas of Study
As you’re pursuing a degree in history, you may explore pairing it with one of the following degrees: